Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

On 97 venture psd isn't working, has worked since we bought

Customer Question

On 97 venture psd isn't working, has worked since we bought it. Checked fuses, breakers and tried to do dianogistics with control module but all I hear is it clicking with what sounds to be code 12.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tried checking power at motor with test light didn't get flash or anything on either terminal
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also tried reset as in owners manual but nothing
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
Hi there.Audible code 12 actually means there is no problem detected. However, if what you heard is actually code 13, then that means there is a door position fault, which is addressed by a recall campaign - as the original owner, you should've received a letter from GM to that respect. First action should be a call to GM at 1-***-***-**** to give them your VIN and ask if your vehicle is still entitled. If so, parts might be hard to come by, so have GM set an appointment for you.If the vehicle is not covered, then the motor is the most probable cause and replacement is the only repair.Please let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I applied power straight to motor for a second and motor sounded like it worked but didn't see cables for door moving. I can see door buzzer and it didn't make noise. It was definitely 12 but only clicking no buzzer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Clicking from psd module
I see. There was also a recall for these modules. Did you get anything from calling GM?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gm has no recall for this car
I'm sorry to hear that.The way these first generation systems were designed, there was basically no circuit protection. So there were many instances when excessive current draw from the motor damaged the control module and rendered the function inoperative.GM came up with a 70-step test procedure for the system that I could upload for you if you'd like to give that a shot.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
definitely, don't want to spend a ton but if I can figure it out with my labor and buy only parts needed.just don't want to get into changing parts that aren't bad to figure out.
I understand. I was just trying to save you time. We followed that diagnostic procedure many times, only to find a bad module at the end. Some vehicles came back after the new modules were installed and that's when we found the motors were drawing excessive current and thus damaging the new modules.Please give me a few minutes to put it all on a PDF that I can upload and attach for you. Be back in a bit...
OK. Have the test procedure and wiring diagram all loaded on a PDF for you.I do hope you consider my efforts worthy of a positive rating. If so, kindly accept this answer now. If not, please reply with your feedback as to why you think I didn't earn the accept.Best Regards.
Hi again. Just checking to see if the information I provided helped you solve your issue. If it did, then kindly accept and rate my answer now.If it didn't, please reply.Best Regards.