Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs

It's not starting. I've already replaced the fuse. I don't

Customer Question

It's not starting. I've already replaced the fuse. I don't know if it is the starter or the solenoid.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It's not making any noise, just the lights come on. It's a 98 Chevy Venture
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,If you take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and go down to the starter and have a helper hold the key in the crank position, are you getting power at the purple start wire as well as the larger battery cable from the battery?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is the solenoid?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Its on the starter, that where you need to check both wires. Post back with the results and we can work from there.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's getting energy.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Okay if you have power (12 volts) at both wire at the starter with the key in the crank position and the starter is not engaging then that means the starter is bad.