Roy Scarlett
Roy Scarlett,
Experience:  Auto Mechanics Teacher at Levittown Schools

Also i have a 1986 chevrolet c10 scottsdale 5.0 4bdb with

Customer Question

Also i have a 1986 chevrolet c10 scottsdale 5.0 4bdb with long bed and im having problems with my charging system. I installed a new starter and new battery yet my battery still goes dead? I have to continue to charge or it will not run? Any
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy Scarlett replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I would like to assist you with your vehicle. Have you checked the alternator output?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
but i must say that the original connector broke so im not sure if its connected correct?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Im also tryingvto get it topass smog but was told that it shift from 2ndvto 3rd gear to fast and that is why they had to abort the california emmissions test. So what can i do i hear i got tlcan j
Attached is a diagram of typical GM wiring of the engine. I don't know if you have one wire or three wire hook up. This shows both.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont see no attachment at all???
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If your speaking of the 3 or 4 wire connector to smog witch put engine back at 6°before top dead center i know about that, otherwise the computer will control.
The wiring was for the alternator, does your alternator have one wire(heavy red) or three wires ( heavy red, power and 2 wires in a white connector)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it gas a heavy red and the 2 wires on the connector. My other issue is in the 2 wire connector, it broke in peices so i dont know which wire connects to what? They got mixed up so, i the connector it was jusg in and it was good but like i said it broke and now do not know what wire goes on what side?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Either way i tried connecting them one way ran truck for a while still no charge then switch wires the other way and nothing. So i got to figure out the correct way, then i thought of running a whole new wires from alternator to wherever thay go and im sure it will solve issue but i need the correct charging diagram.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Then after that i have to figure out why my truck will not pass smog. I was told tgat they abort dyno because it either shifts too early at around 1500 to 2000 rpms at 15 to 20mph.
It sounds like a bad alternator, if you don't have a voltmeter to hook up on the battery to check voltage output which should be 14.2 engine running. A quick test is to take the battery terminal off the battery with the engine running, if the alternator is working the engine will stay running. As far as the transmission shifting too soon it could be either a miss adjusted detent cable or governor sticking. The detent cable connects from the carburetor linkage to the gas pedal, it helps regulate transmission to acceleration. There are different transmission repair shops which will road test at no charge to diagnose a problem.
I am attaching a diagram of the alternator (generator) showing the color of the wires, Red and brown.
Sorry, forgot to attach the pic. Here is the alternator and a pic of the carb and detent. Youtube has videos on how to adjust the detent cable, video is better than me trying to explain.
If you are finished with the car with no further questions I am happy for you, if you still have any questions please ask. If you are satisfied with my service please rate me with the 5 stars on top of the page.