sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Chevrolet Equinox LT: I bought a 2007 chevy equinox with

Customer Question

Hi I bought a 2007 chevy equinox with a bad engine. I replaced the engine (incl. starter and alternator). It started right up but it smoked a lot ( i believe because the previous engine head was blown). I ran it for a while hoping to get up to temperature so i could put the remaining 2 gallons of antifreeze in the engine. The engine shutoff before it got up to the required temperature to open the thermostat. Since then it wont start back up. I changed the main (mega) fuse but it still wont start. Sometimes when i am trying to start it the security light will come on. what could be the problem? Could it be that something went wrong when i tried to use the battery pack to start it? Could it be a computer problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It's definitely possible that the powertrain control module may have failed but there are dozens of other things that may have caused the engine to die such as a loss of fuel pressure, wiring, lost cam or crank signal, internal engine issues, an exhaust restriction, or fuel quality may be a concern depending on how bad it sat.Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?Have you checked for spark?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont hear any sound from the fuel pump and i did not check for a spark. But will this prevent the engine from turning over?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought about the fuel. The car stopped running in January 2016 and there is not much fuel in it. If i add some hi grade fuel to the tank do you think that could help or at least eliminate the fuel pressure possibility?
The starter doesn't engage?