GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My 2000 Chevy Express 2500 speedometer works erratically.

Customer Question

my 2000 Chevy Express 2500 speedometer works erratically. In the city it will bounce around to 70 miles an hour, when I'm doing about 30, on highway it will go up to 100, sometimes shutting down acceleration up hills. Then suddenly, it will work. Hard to drive around like this.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: probably not, but have brought this to be repaired, not right yet.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 months ago.
Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.Just so I understand it is very erratic or it is a steady needle?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have any equipment.Have some knowledge of autos, but not electronic repairs.The speedometer bounced 10-15 mph on back roads when driving at approx 35mph (can only est.) and would read 50-70 mph. Once on hwy, it would go to 90-100 mph, peg out max 100 for about 15 minutes. I estimate my speed at about 50, I'm in right lane with cars whizzing by me. If I try to accelerate up hill, the engine kicks out (the 100mph governor by my understanding), then after approx 16 minutes on the hwy, the needle drops back into reading the normal speed. I would guess it is correct, but not sure. Appears to be correct speed. Thus, it is an erratic problem.Your thoughts?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also, this was a constant problem from when I bought this van a few weeks ago. A mechanic suggested changing the alternator, which was done. Then the problem became erratic.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 months ago.
I am unsure what to suggest. I will opt out and see if another expert can help
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.Can you give me your VIN# ***** I can get the proper information and see if there are any Service Bulletins?Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****