Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones,
Experience:  GM A Tech at Straub Buick GMC
15093763

Chevrolet: 2001 3500 d-max. Both sending units work . 40-240

Customer Question

2001 3500 d-max. Both sending units work .
40-240 ohms. We have power coming back to senders.gauge reads empty all the time. Where is the module that contols this?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, i am pulling up the diagrams now to assist, Lou P.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
here is the diagram for the fuel balance module i will get you the location as well.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
here is the locations. hope this helps. Lou P.Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

No. Sorry. After looking at the vin it is an 02. so that is not in front of tank

Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
OK let me recheck, thanks, ***** ***** wiring look the same?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
here is the wiring
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
location shows the same with fewer components
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
ok The security LED will illuminate for three seconds when the ignition is turned to position II, while the key is read. If there is a fault in the system, a fault code will be flashed out on the LED 60 seconds after the key entered position II. so turn the key to position 2 and wait 60 seconds for the fault code to be pulsed and let me know the fault code.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

There is nothing in the frame - including no lift pump. (Has transfer pump between the two tanks)1/2" line from midship tank to motor. No security light. Just low fuel and battery light on dash. Does the fuel pump contol modual control the sending units too?

Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
that is weird that you dont have anything on the frame. and yoiu did look up near the cab? the location states its under the door area. ill see if i can get a function description for you.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
The fuel balance pump module monitors the signal circuit of the fuel level sensors in order to determine the fuel level. When the fuel tanks are full, the fuel level sensors resistance is high. When the fuel tanks are empty the fuel level sensors resistance is low. The fuel balance pump module averages the resistance of the primary and the secondary fuel level sensors in order to produce an equal resistance value that reflects the average level of both tanks. The fuel balance pump module equalizes the fuel levels in both tanks while supplying fuel to the engine from the primary tank. The PCM monitors the fuel level signal from the fuel balance pump module in order to determine the fuel level. The PCM calculates the total amount of remaining fuel based on the information from the fuel balance pump module. The IPC receives the total amount of fuel remaining information from the PCM via the fuel level sensor signal circuit. The fuel level sensor changes resistance (40 - 250 ohms) based on the fuel level.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I understand how the system works. I have fixed many with the modal and lift pump set up forwrd of the main tank. All those have the steel midship tanks. On the one diagram you sent there is a relay "fuel balance pump relay" . Does that also tie into the sending units.? It does not appear to.

Expert:  Lou P. replied 6 months ago.
let me opt out and see if another expert has some personal experience with this, i thought i could assist with providing some info that you may have been missing but i think you need more help that i cannot provide, please hang on for another expert to assist , thanks , Lou.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Roger that

Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming. I'm ***** *****. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.Can you give me your VIN# ***** I can get the proper information?Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

We figured it out. Put the scanner on it and read that the tank readings were 90% and 98% on front and rear tank which tells us it is a problem between the ECM and the dash.

Ok. Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****