Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

While changing the PROM in my 1982 Corvette my cat brushed

Customer Question

while changing the PROM in my 1982 Corvette my cat brushed against my leg. I dropped it. not 100 % sure wich way it goes in. letters up or down. The ECM is still in the car.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist the prom will only go in 1 way. there are key slots that must line up for it to install. can you post a picture?? Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This Prom will go in either way
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
it should not. do you have a cal pack in the ecm as well???
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What is a cal pack ?
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
another chip inside the ecm. some have more than one. do you have the cross fire system??
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This prom has 12 pins on each side and is rectangle shape and will go in either way
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
I know that. done tons of them can you post a picture as I requested??
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
almost there
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tryed. Did it go through?
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
yep
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
usually there are 2 push down clips on the ends of the prom to keep it tight looking for some info
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
this is the spot for the prom see the key way??? that is not the prom. have several more images to go through
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
found this for you as well. are there any other covers on the ecm.as far as installing what you have, I always used the rule part numbers up and toward the connectors Roy 1982 Chevrolet Corvette V8-350 5.7LVehicle » Powertrain Management » PROM - Programmable Read Only Memory » Description and Operation » CALPAKCALPAKCAUTION: If the computer is found to be defective and needs replacement, remove the old CALPAK and PROM, then place both into the replacement computer. When replacing the COMPUTER always transfer the BROADCAST CODE and PRODUCTION ECM/PCM NUMBER to the service label on the replacement computer. DESCRIPTION: The resistor network calibration called a CALPAK is located inside the computer. Its appearance and service is similar to the PROM. The CALPAK allows fuel to be delivered if other parts of the computer fail. The CALPAK provides the computer with calibrations for: Cold Start Cranking.Limp home fuel (fuel backup mode).© 2016 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
PROM and carrier
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
the first image is the way it goes in and then the prom will only go in 1 way Roy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know wich way the carrier goes in the ECM need to know wich way the PROM goec in the carrier. it will go in either way
Expert:  Roy replied 11 months ago.
in the picture you sent, it is backwards Roy