Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician

Car is in limp mode how do I get it out JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

car is in limp mode how do I get it out
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: YES
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The computer places the system in Limp mode when it sees a systems fault and it will not come out of limp mode until the problem has been resolves. In order to begin to know what is failing and causing this you are going to need to start first with scanning the system to retrieve the fault code and or codes. If you can get this done and post back with the results, I will see if I can help you determine the cause.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the problem was the starter . so I replaced it .all I need to simply no is ( how do I get the car out of limp mode ) ?????
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
If you looking to clear the computer all you need to do is disconnect the negative battery cable for a few minutes. This will clear it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
unhooking and rehooking battery does not take car out of limp mode . that only clears computer tempary
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Okay then the problem that is causing it to go into limp mode is still present. If you scan the computer system are there any fault code setting . There should be if it is in fact in limp mode.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok when the starter went out . we pulled the car to start it . so the car thought it was being stolen .which put the car in limp mode all I need to no is how to get the car out of limp mode . so if you don't no how to get it out of limp mode , just say so ,and ill move on to some one else , thank you
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
It sound like if your theft system is active its not in limp mode but instead theft mode. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone else has something new to offer.
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,You have one or more codes set, so you need to have the whole car scanned for DTCs.Can you get a TECH2 or equivalent scan tool to do this?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no i cant get a scan tool
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,There's not many options.You need to get somebody with a scan tool.A mobile tech, or tow it to the Chevy dealer for diagnosis.I'll assume it is a manual transmission, and you pushed it and clutch started it?Gary