GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I'm getting noise, started as tapping, now is whiney, coinciding

Customer Question

I'm getting noise, started as tapping, now is whiney, coinciding with RPM's from top of engine, seemingly from throttle body
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: C5 1998 Corvette - tapping and now RPM sync'd whine coming from behind throttle body
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yep
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried to figure out where it's coming from first lol
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: and if it's reasonable to fix it myself
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
any access to a stethoscope to pin point the noise area ?if the engines drive belt is off it still makes this noise ?