Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

I have a 2005 chevy malibu ls and I have locked the keys in

Customer Question

I have a 2005 chevy malibu ls and I have locked the keys in my trunk. The car is open but the keys are locked in the trunk and my switch for the trunk doesn't work
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's all tbats going on. And I'm 200 miles from home
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried checking fuses and even tried to force my seats to lay down
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: That's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
is there a dealer nearby ?this has a key lock at the rear trunk to use a key to open the trunk ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm,not sure there is a dealership nearby
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
since you can not get in behind the rear seats either the closest dealer would need to cut a new key off of your VIN number to be able to unlock the trunk or you need to call a locksmith which they will come to you and hand cut a key to get into the trunkat this point those are your 2 options to get the trunk openyou can always get me back for FREE through this post anytime for any follow up with this questionif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There's not a dealer nearby
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
if no dealer you need to call and get a locksmith to come to you and hand cut a key to get into the trunkthey will hand cut a key for the trunk for you so you can get into the trunk you can always get me back for FREE through this post anytime for any follow up with this questionif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
And how do you suppose I pay this lock Smith? My wallet is at the campsite 30 miles away.
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
well i did not know you didn't have your wallet on youhave someone pay them over the phone with a credit card then you pay them backi am just saying your down to those 2 choices to get into this car
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Is there not a seat release?
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
in the trunk or on the top side of the seats there is to flip the backs downbut once down is there metal or a colored plastic panel between the trunk and inside of the car ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Plastic yes but I can kick through it
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
if its plastic kick through it or pry it aside.with no metal and you can move it knock it out enough to reach for the keys
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Right now we are trying to get the seat down. We can't get the seat down at the moment
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
pull lift and do what you have to do to get one of the backs downyou are stuck and have to do what you have to do to get into the trunk even if it means bending the seatbacks
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm not worried about the seats they can be replaced. I just want my keys. In trying everything I know
Expert:  Gary replied 8 months ago.
see if someone has even a tire iron to use to pry