Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Qualified to repair all makes and models.
3827149

I have a 02 envoy and the engine is idling low. I connected

Customer Question

I have a 02 envoy and the engine is idling low. I connected my code reader and it's getting a linking error. I noticed that the warning lights don't stay on when the key is in the on position. What do I have to do to get the odb II port to send data to the reader?
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: I can't pull any codes because the odb II port is not communicating with the code scanner.
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Chevy Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've checked the odb II port for broke wires or unattached pins. Cleaned the throttle body, did a etb relearn procedure, and checked some vacuum hoses.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Just the info I gave you.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 6 months ago.
Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.So am I to understand you have no communication with your code reader?Do you have a volt Ohm meter? What is you expertise level?Have there been any changes to your vehicle lately?Is the radio in the vehicle a GM radio or an aftermarket?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is correct. I do not have a volt meter. I've changed the water pump and cleaned the throttle body. The ses light came on a few days after the water pump was changed. The radio is the factory radio.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The odb II port is giving power to the code reader. It's just giving a linking error. The warning lights stay on for a few seconds when the key is in the on position but go off. On the other vehicles I've used the reader on they stay on.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 6 months ago.
I do not think the repairs are related. Sounds like you have a failed component causing the bus to be shorted, This can get very complicated to locate. What is your skill level with electrical type work?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had a old Chevelle that I had to run some wiring on and I've also relocated a knock sensor on a qx4.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would that component have anything to do with the back seat center consol not working ?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 6 months ago.
I am going to opt out and see if someone else can help.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 months ago.
Different expert here are all fuses good?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked them and they were good. Should I check with the ignition in the on position?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The code reader is getting power but it's giving a linking error. The warning lights on the dash are not staying on when the ignition is in the on position.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The main reason why I need to get the odb II port to work is because the envoy is idling rough at around 5-600 rpm and the ses light is on. The port worked fine about a year ago when I was able to get a camshaft sensor code.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 months ago.
Yes you need to check with the ignition switch on.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have the ignition on but all the different warning lights stay on for a few seconds then turn off except for the ses light.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 months ago.
OK is the vehicles battery fully charged ? Also was the auxilary fuse and lighter fuse checked ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes used a fuse tester I got with some fuses and the tester showed green.