ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master tech
Experience:  30 years ASE Master L1 GM certified
11302663

2003 150 4wd suburban. Suddenly dies while driving. On attempted

Customer Question

2003 150 4wd suburban. Suddenly dies while driving. On attempted restars will fire for 1 second then quit.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: you got the last message?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if easy to medium difficulty
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
greetings, Did you check for trouble codes? is the check engine light on? how many miles? will it start and run cold, is this an intermittent issue? do you hear the fuel pump? has the filter been replaced?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no trouble codes on dash. Have not checked with code reader. No check engine light on. Will not start. First time ever happening. Fuel pump does come on like normal. Have not replaced filter. 138,000 miles.When attempting to start, on initial crank the engine fires for just one or two turns of the engine but dies right away.
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
how much gas in the tank?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
quarter tank
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
We​ can try and bank the gas tank as someone tries to start the engine. Sometimes contaminates jam in the fuel pump and a good hock will get free up the pump. with the key on for a few seconds we should hear a buzz from the gas tank.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it acts just like it is out of fuel when it has run out of gas in the past. Exact same symptoms.
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
we can also bang on the tank and listen for a really hollow sound, in case the fuel level sender is off and the tan is empty
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
I would check the filter in the near future. lets hope the pump is still working.
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
To replace the pump the tank will need to be dropped and the less gas the better. I recommend if we need to replace the pump to use a module or install a whole pump assembly. some after market pumps will sell just the pump, never work out that great. the whole assembly or fuel pump module will come with the fuel level sender.
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
You can remove the air inlet to the throttle body and spray some throttle cleaner or carb cleaner just to verify if it is a fuel issue. I do that before I start looking all over. If it fires up it points to no fuel
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
put the inlet hose back and crank and if it starts you know you are missing fuel
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
the pump in tank design really needs the fuel level above a 1/4 tank to keep the pump cool. running the tank low all the time is not the best for these pumps.
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
you can also add fuel to the tank and listen for the pump, if no buzz bang and see if it kick starts .
Expert:  ironmike replied 7 months ago.
let me know what you find