Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years working on imports and domestic cars
17920890

Trying to program new key lock on 2007 tahoe been 20 mins security

Customer Question

Trying to program new key lock on 2007 tahoe been 20 mins security light won't turn off
JA: A security light issue can be an easy fix, once you get all the information you need. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the ins and outs of the issue. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Lost my keys so bought a new key cyclinder lock trying to install but light won't turn off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Remove and install again , disconnected battery
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm sorry you are having issues with your Chevy. I will try to assist.
I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.
First I will need a little more info to be able to assist better. Is your Tahoe the new body style or old body style? 2007 or 2007.5?
Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2007
So the old body style?These programming procedures are only good for USA built vehicles.The first digit of your 17 digit VIN number must start with the number 1 or 4.
If your VIN number starts with a 2 or 3 or a letter these procedures WILL NOT WORK.1. Insert a new cut key in ignition and turn key to the ON position for
10 minutes and 30 seconds.2. Within 45 seconds turn the key to OFF and then back to the ON position for
10 minutes and 30 seconds.3. Within 45 seconds turn the key to OFF and then back to the ON position for
10 minutes and 30 seconds.
4. Turn key OFF then back ON. The key is now programmed.
Start vehicle to test key.If it's not USA built you will need a tech 2 to program it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The thing is tat 10 20 30mins pass and light won't turn off
Are you cycling the key to off and back on every 10 min 30 seconds? And don't open the doors or turn anything on while doing it. I recommend doing it with window down.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Even tough if the light won't turn off
And don't remove the key while cycling to off. Just turn off, wait 3-5 seconds and back on
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3times let me try tat
Ya it has to be strict on timing. And 3 times. What is your vin? Is it USA built?
Also, I'm bout to log off for the day. If you have any issues just reply and if I can't get back to you before tomorrow it's possible another mechanic might jump in.
However if it works please leave positive feedback.Thank you,
Sonny
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for ur help
Anytime.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tried step couple times didn't work
Ok did some research, did you buy an aftermarket lock cyl. Or from the dealer? If it's aftermarket, the key probably doesn't have the chip in it. 2007 is when they started putting the chips in but it was later in 2007 so not all of them had it. I would suggest reusing the original lock cyl and going to the dealer with your registration and or title and drivers liscence and they can cut a key based on the vin. It will be the right key and will work in the doors that way.
Let me know what you think or plan to do and I'll help further.Thanks
Sonny
May I ask did you get a key from the dealer? Was my information helpful?
Let me know so I can be of better assistance.
If the info was helpful please rate my help. It's the only way I get compensated.Thanks
Sonny
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny