GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My 2004 Chevy Impala with a 3.8L engine will start up and run

Customer Question

My 2004 Chevy Impala with a 3.8L engine will start up and run for awhile maybe 10 minutes then dies with no warning lights and acts like it ran out of fuel. If you try and start it up right away it acts like it wants to fire up but won't. But if you let it sit for 20 minutes to an hour it will start right up. If you drive for another 10 or 15 minutes it just dies with no warning. I checked the fuel pump pressure and have 54lbs-psi. Need help I don't know what it could be.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: No there is no electrical malfunction light on dash. I have the car in my driveway not a shop.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Chevy Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes please
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have only checked the fuel pressure.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
when it dies and will not run will it somewhat fire or run on starting fluid or carb cleaner being sprayed down the throttle body ?does it have spark ?