Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

Chevrolet Malibu: Lou, I have a 99 malibu and the drivers

Customer Question

Hi Lou, I have a 99 malibu and the drivers passenger power mirror doesnt work, the drivers side power lock is backwards, i.e. if you push it down the other 3 doors unlock and if you push it up, the other 3 doors lock, and neither the door lock switches nor the key fob will unlock or lock the drivers door............ help!
Oh, and sometimes the drivers window will not go down
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 months ago.

Hello, did most of this happen at same time?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just got the car, but the previous owner said it did happen as far as she remembered close if not at same time

All the circuits are separate to the fuse box really none tie/link to each other, A common problme is a wire or 2 breaks in the rubber boot connecting the door to the body, When this happens, wires can rub and or short together and can cause different problems etc with the door switches, I am leaning toi a wiring issue in the rubber boot, It happens from opening and closing a door over the years. In the shop we cut them open with razor blade and tape back later , you may? be able to pop and end out and slide it back some, Its just a little harder that way.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday to do that, I just re read my post and it should have said the drivers power mirror doesn't work, but the passengers power mirror does work

it can still be the wiring within the door boot, A wire that controls just one side goes through as well,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the wiring within the door boot, everything looks good, no cuts no crimps etc.... I also took off the bezel for the power windows and mirror and also for the locks, nothing out of place and connected tight, any other suggestions?

all that can possibly be done is you need a testlight, I need to pull diagrams and see what we can do to run some tests this way. You will need access to the back of the switches, plugs and may have to bear with me as I am not online that much longer this evening

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, just let me know when you get the diagrams,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Randall
do you wish to continue? I've been charged 28 dollars, and I'm being asked to rate your service, but we have not diagnosed the issue yet