sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a broken part on my sunroof JA: Sometimes things that

Customer Question

I have a broken part on my sunroof
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Its the guide that retracts the wind deflector as the sunroof closes. I can send you a picture if that would help.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Its a small plastic part that looks like it can be easily replaced if I can locate a replacement part. I haven't been able to find the part so far.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. If the dealer doesn't show that part, then it is not sold separately which means you need to replace the whole component.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't even find a schematic to see if that is the case.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is a picture
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Please be patient. That part is NOT sold by itself.'Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry. I was just trying to sort out if you were still connected. I do not find your response to be reasonable for $23. I will disputes this charge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Pardon me? I gave you a correct answer. You can't buy that part separately.Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pardon me but "you can't do that " is not a reasonable response. If you had taken a minute to tell me how it could be fixed I would have been happy. What part is required to be purchased for example
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure what you're not getting here, but you need to replace the whole rail. You CAN'T get that part by itself.Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has to be possible to fix this somehow.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, but it is not. We don't build these things, we just fix them. I wish the answer went a different way for you, but the answer is true. Please don't let that affect my rating.Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
So. You're telling me that I have to throw my truck away because I can't replace a 12cent plastic part. I find that unbelievable.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
WOW, sorry you can't understand this.Ron
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wow. I'm sorry that u are so unwilling to spend a few seconds doing your job. Are you certain that part is not available? Did you even look it up? How about providing me with the part number of the assembly that the part is a piece of?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!What is the year and model of the vehicle?