Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

1995 Camaro while driving my speedometer will start shaking

Customer Question

1995 Camaro while driving my speedometer will start shaking badly and when I down shift manual the car stalls.
JA: Whether it's at the end of the driveway or on the highway, a car stalling can be dangerous. The good news is the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all kinds of engine issues. How old is the battery? Does the car stall out mainly when going up or down hills?
Customer: It stalls when it warms up down or hill when the speedometer begins to shake I no the car will stall. I tried the battery had it recharged.
JA: Got it. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, if possible. I have taken this to many mechanics, they replace something. crank sensor, .
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: crank share, filter , I ask the mechanic to change the speed sensor but I really don't think he did, he mention a lot cleaning comments. change spark plugs wires, not sure of the name it silver and it connected close to the exhaust
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: No that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
What engine came in this, is it a coupe, convertible, etc and auto or manual trans?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
Check to see if a code 24 is set for the speed sensor.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
Or code 97 for speed sensor.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The problem with this Camaro codes is the 16 pin obd1 scanner wasn't available for some mechanic shop. I took it the dealership that mention a exhaust link. The mechanic talk about the crank shaft was the problem that did not work. then code was for some regulator it may call something else, that didn't work , then the speed sensor came up. By this time I am close to $2,500. Frustrated.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
crank shaft sensor there two sensor was replaced. Then mechanic say he clean some wires .
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
Ok, it's past midnite here. I am going to bed. I'll check out your post tomorrow about noon. You still have to tell me What engine came in this, is it a coupe, convertible, etc and auto or manual trans?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
3 4L v6 2Dr hatch back 5 speed manual transmission
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
I see you keep wanting to have the speed sensor replaced. I suggest you go ahead and do that and try it again.It is located on the transmission/transaxle and here are the instructions,
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.
JustAnswer® is not a free service. I work hard to make sure you're satisfied with my service and I only get credit for my answers based on your rating. Once you're satisfied, please leave a positive rating.