sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My 2008 Chevy duramax runs good then once in a while when

Customer Question

My 2008 Chevy duramax runs good then once in a while when pulling a trailer it will make the fuel filter drop and reduce engine power comes on reset code runs good then does it again changed filter ran good for about 1000 miles then did it again but only does it when pulling something
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!It sounds as if you're describing the water in fuel light. If it's coming on it's because there is actually water in the fuel, the water in fuel sensor is bad or there is a sensor wiring issue. If the problem went away for 1,000 miles after replacing the filter then water in the fuel is a good possibility.What P codes are setting when this happens?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can't remember the exact code number but it was low fuel pressure to the fuel rail
Are you able to locate the code from before or have the codes read again to be certain?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was p0087
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has read that code every time
How often did the problem happen before the filter was replaced?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
A few times I have only had the truck since the middle of February and changed the filter twice already just trying to see what it might be
Does it only happen on harder acceleration?Does it only happen when fuel level in the tank is lower, less than about half?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Only on hard acceleration yes
Fuel has been anywhere on the gauge
And only with a trailer behind me
It has done it to me reset code and dropped trailer and then ran great
Are there any modifications to the engine or fuel system?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not that I know of
Did you get 1,000 miles with no problems after replacing the fuel filter both times? Is replacing the filter actually repairing the issue for a short time?Are you finding debris/sediment in the filter and bowl?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes it seemed to fix it
Not seeing anything debris
If the fuel filter is actually taking care of the issue each time then the problem is fuel system contamination. This code sets when rail pressure is just over 2,000 PSI lower than commanded. If replacing the filter is actually allowing the problem to go away for a time then it's because there is enough solid particle in the fuel system to restrict the filter. If you're absolutely sure replacing the filter each time is helping then the fuel tank is going to need to be drained and cleaned and then the fuel system flushed.