chevygeorge
chevygeorge, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Technician for over 25 years
93784238

Chevrolet malibu: I have a cheverlot malibu 2004. My ac keeps

Customer Question

I have a cheverlot malibu 2004. My ac keeps overcharging and I don't know why it's doing this.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Malibu.Who is telling you that the system is overcharged?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I keep checking my system with a do-it-yourself repair kit. When I check it, it shows red. This is with the car running and the ac is kicking on.
I see. Where are you hooking up this do it yourself kit? On the Hi or Lo side?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can drive for a while and it will get cool but not cold. After a bit, it gets warm and then when I slow down, it will get cool again, but still not cold like it should be.
I understand, this could be due to several different reasons. Lets start from the beginning.What type of a/c concern were you having and what did you do first to try and fix it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My ac wasn't blowing cold air so I bought the coolant replacement can. I added coolant to it. It worked for a bit but it doesn't work like it should. I had a mechanic look at it and he released some pressure because it started running high. Now, it comes and goes and it is running high again. I checked to see if the unit is kicking in and it is. I checked the fuses and they are good.
Ok, it sounds like you are close to fixing this. Lets go back to one of my earlier questions: Where are you hooking up this do it yourself kit? On the Hi or Lo side?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The hi side. Tha was the only one that it fit. I made sure of this first.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could it possibly be that my line may be stopped up a bit? That is the only thing I can think it might be. Don't know though.
It very well could be stopped up, and that would explain the high pressures. If you are following the directions on the can properly then it would be time to replace the line. Just discharge the pressure. replace then line and then recharge as you normally would.If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you.
My pleasure. Please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Expert:  chevygeorge replied 9 months ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you. What symptoms is the car experiencing? What exactly do you mean by overcharging?