GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet S 10: need help trying to locate a four-wheel-drive

Customer Question

Hi need help trying to locate a four-wheel-drive actuator solenoid valve on a 2002 Chevy S-10 four-door four-wheel-drive. We have located the vacuum actuator motor itself underneath the battery tray, just cannot find the solenoid valve.
Thank you in advance, Richard.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 10 months ago.
Hi, I will try to help you find that.
Does this have automatic or manual select 4wd
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm not sure if you are hiding my post, or if they're not getting through to you. When I returned my answer to you it does not come back up for me to see/read.

oh, I just got that message. Did you see my question to you?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, I got your question and I answered it. That's what I'm talking about when I reply to you it does not post backup for me to see it, so I don't know if you're getting it or not.

Anyway it is an automatic pushbutton 4 x 4 selector, with automatic transmission.

Ok, I am sorry you are having trouble. I did not get your first answer but I did just get the last one. When you ask for the four wheel drive actuator solenoid do you mean the electric motor that changes transfer case position?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no, I know where the transfer case is and the electric motor is!

this is an electric controled vacuum solenoid that controls the vacuum actuator that locks the front differential in and out of four-wheel-drive.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am assuming it's located under the hood somewhere… Don't know, or I wouldn't be asking in looking now. It has a vacuum line coming into it and going out of it and electrical connector with two wires.

Gotcha, I am sorry to oversimplify things, I just have to make sure. I have no way of knowing customer competence on an issue until questions are asked due to the nature of this site and the wide range of experience from those using it. Is there any way you can provide me with your VIN number so I can make sure I am getting the correct information? The information in the shop manual I am using states that the front axle is actuated by a cable, not a vacuum switch; however if this were the case for your vehicle, there would be no vacuum solenoid under the battery tray.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it is operated by a cable, the cable is connected to the vacuum motor underneath the battery tray. The actuator solenoid valve is what controls the vacuum that goes to the vacuum motor underneath the battery tray. You are looking at the right vehicle we just haven't got to the solenoid valve yet.

The Vin number is: 1GCDT13W92K124046

Ok, I am on the same page now. So far in the manual I do not see any information on it, but from memory, the part you are looking for is usually on the firewall near the wiper motor. I am assuming that the vacuum line from the vacuum motor is broken or else you would follow it all the way to the solenoid. It should look like an evap or egr solenoid but it is mounted on the firewall. Let me know if you find it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm not an idiot… The vacuum line goes from the vacuum motor down to a three way valve that's located on top of the transfer case I know all of that is I don't need to know about any of that, the solenoid I'm sure is under the hood someplace but I can't trace the vacuum line back to it. no, I cannot otherwise I would have already done that, I know what the solenoid valve looks like I'm holding it in my hand. if you don't show it and don't have a diagram on it please release the question so I can let somebody else answer it.