Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

We have a 2007 Chevy Duramax. Last week we had an issue with

Customer Question

We have a 2007 Chevy Duramax. Last week we had an issue with it not shifting gears and it said range shift inhibited. It would not shift out of gears. After setting for a couple days, started it and it did fine no range shift inhibited light or anything. Any ideas on what might be causing this? It happened 1 other time and that was over a year ago.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Are you saying the shifter would not come out of park or it was not shifting correct while in drive?Have you had it scanned for codes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Truck was doing fine. We stopped at a store for maybe 5 minutes came back out started it put it in gear and the range shift inhibited light came up where PRND is. In order to get it home it was drove on cruise control at 35 mph as it would not change gears. No we have not scanned for codes yet.
Thanks for the details, the more common cause based on the warning you got and the symptoms that followed. That would be a faulty park neutral/transmission range switch at the transmission. It tells the computer the gear you have selected. We can do some testing to confirm this if your up for it. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok...what testing do we need to do?
We need to begin working from the diag steps for the codes that are stored. I can not pinpoint it it down to the correct test to share with you just based on the warning light that is on, that is to broad meaning you would be doing diag steps not needed. Can you get it scanned for me?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We will try to get the codes checked this weekend and I will update then.
Super