Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I keep getting reduced engine power and fuel filter needs replaced

Customer Question

I keep getting reduced engine power and fuel filter needs replaced messages but my fuel filter has less than a thousand miles because I was towing trailer about a week ago and got same messages so replaced fuel filter. Hooked to trailer again and get same messages. Trans temp was at 187 snd truck temp at 210.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Would be nice
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: No had pulled fine before
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. This usually indicates there is a lack of fuel or fuel loss to the engine.I suspect this is the Duramax diesel as this is common.Usually it is the fuel filter that causes this here but since this has been replaced and you are still seeing the same issues here this indicates there is another fuel component at fault causing this.Most common is an issue with one or more fuel injectors at fault that is allowing to much fuel into a cylinder lowering fuel pressure or to much fuel through its return port lowering fuel rail pressure.In some cases this can be the fuel injection pump itself as well.I would have these tested to see if an issue is found with any of these here.If these are all found to be o.k. or before you have these tested check for fuel leaks.To do this hand prime the primer about 8 to 10 times until it is firm with the engine off and inspect all fuel lines from the tank to the filter and filter to the engine for any leaks,even the smallest fuel seep will cause this issue here.If any leaks are found the leak needs repaired.If no leaks are found then the injectors and fuel injection pump need tested for issues needing repaired. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What about collapsing fuel lines.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
There were some issues with colllapsing fuel lines at the fuel tank itself.If you have not had these inspected at the tank itself this should be done.Usually the lines were kinked or damaged causing issues like this here.If these are found to be o.k. though then the injectors need tested to see if any are at fault needing replaced as well as the injection pump. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete