sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My reverse lights don't work JA: Sometimes things that you

Customer Question

My reverse lights don't work
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Put new bulbs in but still doesn't work.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know if there is a fuse for it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, what year , model and engine size does the vehicle have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 95 lumina not sure about engine
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, that's fine on the engine. Let me check the wiring diagram and I'll be back with you in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience. On the top of the transmission on the driver's side of the car you'll see the transmission range switch and a connector, I'll post a picture below. At that connector with the key on there should be power on the oranfe wire, you can check it iwth a test light or volt meter. IF power is there the fuse is good so the next step will be to use a paper clip or small piece of wire to connect the orange wire to the green wire on the connector. (the green wire feeds power to the reverse lgiht) if they come on when you jump those two wire it means the transmission range switch is bad. Let me know what you find and I can help further if needed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the fuse for it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't find the switch.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
It's in the underhood fuse box marked "r/cmpt REL" its a 15 amp red in color fuse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The left or right side
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Should be the right side, let me see if I can find a fuse box diagram for you
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Yep, it's passenger side. Here's the diagram
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
It gets power from the remote trunk release fuse, see diagram below.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Also so you can have it for future use here's the owners manual for your vehicle. Click here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's also a fuse for the tcc that states transaxle switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was very coroded
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
That one is for the torque converter clutch and other ranges of the switch. It's great if you went ahead and cleaned that up as well. Was the other fuse blown?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I can't find the switch to jump it on the diagram you sent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged a switch and try ed to start the car and it didn't start would that be the switch
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
With switch unplugged it will not start as the switch also controls your starting system. If you have the key on and jump the orange to green wire with the switch unplugged the reverse lgihts should come on, if they don't the switch is bad.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuse isn't blown and when I jump it the lights still don't come on and I replaced the bulbs.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Can you check for power on the orange wire at the transmission range sensor with an incandescent test light?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is power there
Do you see a green wire in the connector?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's 2
One is for the reverse lamps but I'll need to get back to the wiring diagram this evening to see which is which. The next step will be to apply power to the correct wire to see if the lights come on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do u mean by apply power
You're going to use a jumper wire to power the circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already did that
I don't know that it was done correctly. How did you determine then which wire needed to be powered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried both
Have you tested at the reverse lamp bulbs to determine whether it's power or ground that you're missing?