GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevt Malibu: I have a 2003 Chevy Malibu with a random misfire.

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Chevy Malibu with a random misfire. Cleared codes had a p0300. Fixed a intake gasket leak performed basic tune up new egr valve. When you take off to drive its sluggish then will take off out of no where. The misfire count on my solus shows a misfire then goes away as speed increases then runs fine until you come down to a lower speed. I find that if you disconnect the egr valve the problem goes away runs great but as soon as you plug it back In I have the same issues. Need help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist did you have an egr code>?? is it electric connector on top??? were the passages clear??? carbon build up on the pindle is a common issue causing the valve to be open just enough to create a vacuum leak. another possible for the 300 code is low fuel pressure. have you checked this??? you can rent a tester at a part store to verify Roy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No egr code it does have a electrical connector on top. The egr is brand new. Passage inside intake is clean. I have have about 60 psi fuel pressure.
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.
running or with key on engine off???
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've checked both ways.
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.
Pressurized Pressure Engine On59 psiStabilized Pressure Engine Off52 psiAverage PSI beteen Injectors Pressure Drop1.5 psi© 2016 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions ok, no other info I can provide from here. will open to other guys to see what they can do for you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The code is not active right now but I do show a random misfire on my scanner on the misfire counter. If you unplug he egr valve everything works fine you plug it in the car drives sluggish then will start drivin fine at a high speed
Expert:  SuperDave replied 6 months ago.
Did you look at the condition of the spark plugs?