Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  building and driving chevy's since i was in the womb!!!! camaro and corvette enthusiest, access to factory diagrams and tsb's

The battery went dead and it locked down...we were able to

Customer Question

the battery went dead and it locked down...we were able to break in the car with a clothes hanger and pop the hood...we've changed the battery and still can't get thru the security system...
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: now has a red top optima battery so no dead issues. had a tip to do the 30 minute memory reset for the ignition or whatever it is. did twice and still nothing. lights and radio come on. no widows no engine start nor gear shift.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
Hello, so you are saying the car does not crank?what year and model?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
i need to know if the engine cranks when turning the key also see if the brake lights come on when pressing the brakes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will not do anything except light the dash up. Cant shift, cant crank, windows dont opperate, nothing. Its a 2007 impala Lt
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No brake lights eother
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
Ok that tells me you have a poor connection at the battery or there are a few blown fuses in the fuse box. Make sure that you cannot twist the cables. They need to be good and tight. Then turn the key on and use a test light and check every single fuse for power and write down the fuses that do not have power so I can check a diagram and see what we can find.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That would keep the key from being released from the ignition?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
Yes you have to have power in the car for the shift interlock to release the key.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hmmm ok. Checking now
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No blown fuses and cables are tight
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This issue happened once before and was fixed by doing the 30 minutes memory reset with the ignition. I tried to use the same sequence twice and nothing. Was told that it was some sort of child safety system or something that was put in this year car. But the sequence used last time does not work now. Dont know if that is any help but its the same scenario same symptoms but the same remedy is not working.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
Ok so the security only stops the fuel from spraying into the engine. And we are not looking for a blown fuse only. We need to verify all fuses have power when the key is on.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok i tried to test the fuses but i didnt have anything light up. Idk if that's a bad light or not
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
Always start at the battery positive to negative to verify the light works.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did it doesn't work. Well let me get another one
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
Lol ok. Rule 1 always test the tester. ;)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Haha. Right!
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thought i could fix this one. Standby going to get a new one.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 months ago.