Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

While attempting to disconnect the negative terminal, I touched

Customer Question

While attempting to disconnect the negative terminal, I touched the wrench to the truck and had a momentary spark. Now all I have is dinging in truck, no gauge lights at all. Truck will not start.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: What else do you need? I've checked all the fuses, but can't tell if the boxy ones are good or bad.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checking fuses. Was about to disconnect both terminals and touch the wiring together to purge power.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: It's stock
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
It sounds as though you popped a fuse. If you tell me what year, model, engine, driveline, etc I'll look up the wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2014 Chevy Silverado v6
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think I narrowed it down to the number 50 fuse. I can hear it click. Just put the panel back on. Let me take it back off to give you the nomenclature
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Run/Crnk. It's the one in dash.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's behind the BBL sticker. Is this a dealer only replacement?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
If it is clicking, it's not a fuse. Give me a second to get the wiring diagram.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
From looking at your pictures though that looks like a relay.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So I got the panel out. Noticed ibhad to push the black plastic portions attached the fuse box that were holding the entire fuse box into the dash from those silver clips. (What I pointed to.)
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Which Silverado is this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
V6 1500
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
What size engine?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
See above post ;)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just noticed there is another fuse panel on passenger side too. That is where the clicking is coming from. Going to open that now.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
A v6 is how many cylinders, not the size. It's a 4.3l?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Relays are controlled by the box fuses, correct? Ah. One sec, my bad. Yes, it's a 4.3L
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Here is the power distribution wiring diagrams to help you know which fuses to check.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
And here is the owners manual, them 2 fuse blocks start on page 10-47. It's compressed, so you will need WinRAR or winzip to open it.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
It depends, which relay are you talking about?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
For instance, the ignition main relay in figure 5 powers fuses after that relay.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
I would start by testing the fuse #7, a 60amp fuse in the battery fuse block and be sure to test both sides of the fuse when testing with either a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light. Then move onto checking the fuses to whatever isn't working. I would worry about the clicking noise last.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. No lights or dinging right now. No obvious fuses blown under hood, or either instrument panel.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
For instance, if the starter will not even engage, check the fuses to the starter relay.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Don't just look at the fuses you have to test them with a voltmeter or 12 volt test light. Simply looking at fuses is only for when broken down and you have no access to tools/testers.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Does the starter work?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Is discoloration a sign of a bad fuse?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
There is a strtr fuse in the fuse block under the hood, left side.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I get no response when turning the key. No lights, no sounds.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Why are you so far away with the camera, I cannot hardly see the fuse but the fuse looks good from here.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Camera wouldn't focus up close for whatever reason.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Check fuse #2 a 175a fuse in the battery fuse block.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
No wait, that's fuse #4 still a 175a fuse. Same box.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
It feeds all the fuses in that other underhood fuse block.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Fuse #8 in that same box feeds all the fuses in the right instrument panel fuse box.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Haven't figured out how to test those with light test.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it possible the entire fusebox went out?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Pull it out and see if its blown by using an ohmmeter to check the fuse and then while the fuse is out, use a voltmeter and make sure one terminal in the socket has voltage since it's straight from the battery.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
No, I doubt if the entire fuse block went out, it's most likely one of those large amperage fuses blew, cause they feed alot of other smaller fuses.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
If you don't have an ohmmeter, then just pull the fuse and look at it and then use the test light to check for voltage in the socket.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Will do that now.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Or you could simply look at the wiring diagram and test a few of the other fuses that those big fuses feed and if they all have no power, change the big fuse that feeds them.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
For instance, fuse #4 in that battery fuse box feeds the abs pump fuse in the other fuse block under the hood on the left side. So if that abs pump fuse has no voltage, then put a new fuse #4 in that battery fuse box and check for voltage at the abs pump fuse again. Then check the other fuses that fuse 8 feeds, the fuses in the right instrument panel fuse box, for starters the sunroof fuse.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I understand they each feed one instrument panel box inside the cab. The fuses look good. Not sure if my tester acting up right now though.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
It's getting late and my eyes are tired so I am going to lay down now in bed and watch some tv and get ready for sleep. I think you have the right idea now and have the owners manual and wiring diagram and it appears you will be testing fuses for quite some time so I will leave this page open and check in on you the first thing in the morning, usually about 11am I get online, so talk to you then, unless of course you find the blown fuse.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tester is good. Just not getting any lights on any fuses in the fuse box under the hood at all.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Really, even in the fuse socket? They are straight from the battery.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Even in the fuse socket
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Double-check the ground on your test light and once it lights, don't move the ground.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have checked it four or five times since I started. Thought it was my light, but it lights every time it's tested on the battery.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Which fuses exactly? Did you have voltage in the sockets of #4 and #8?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Which fuse box too, there are 2 under the hood.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No fuses light up. Same setup as this guy.
https://youtu.be/ksrsXwwukFc
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
The top right fuse block is the one I was referring to with those fuses 4 and 8.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm working on the driver's side fuse box
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Pointing to what I'm working on
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Ok, like I said, most of those fuses in there are fed from that fuse #4 in that battery fuse box, so put a new fuse in #4 spot. A 175a.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where is the battery fuse box? I think I'm missing the obvious here.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
What is that jumper cable attached to? If that is the battery, in that video you gave me that is the fuse box he started out testing. I only watched like the first few fuses he tested though, the first 2 lit and then the 3rd did not.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Engine compartment, top right.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Right usually means passenger side. So up near the passenger side firewall. Isn't that where the battery is and that jumper cable hooked to?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes on battery location and jumper cable attached to negative terminal.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK. Had a dumbfounded moment. I see what your talking about now.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
On page 10-5 of that owners manual shows the underhood and yes the battery fuse box is near the battery.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
I don't see them show it but they said it was there. Do you see it now?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Picture didn't attach.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
Did you find the battery fuse box and fuse #4 yet?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Believe so. Did that picture show up?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Any chance you can call me?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
#1 in this diagram is the battery fuse box.No, I didn't get any picture form you just now.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
I'm going to bed now, let me know in the morning if it was that fuse #4 in the battery fuse box or not.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Leave for deployment in the morning. Thanks for the PDFs. They helped a lot. I found that box, but have no idea how to get it off/open.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
I see a diagram of a lock on the side of it, perhaps that is how it opens.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.
From the fact that those other fuses all have no power and are fed from that fuse #4, I believe that is going to be the fuse that blew.Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask.