Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Will be driving security light comes on engine quits but starts

Customer Question

will be driving security light comes on engine quits but starts right back up was told to replace antitheft module where is it located
JA: A security light issue can be an easy fix, once you get all the information you need. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the ins and outs of the issue. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: well it seems like it goes in a drive cycle then I will be driving then security light comes on and it dies in flight
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i have been dealing with this problem awhile and a good mechanic i know said it is the anti theft module i cannot locate it
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.
Hi there.What is the year, model and trim level for that Chevrolet you're working on?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2000 impala
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
don't want phone
There is no specific module for the security system; there is a Passlock sensor in the ignition lock cylinder that detects when the correct key is inserted. It then sends an OK signal to the Body Control Module (BCM), which in turn sends another OK signal to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) which then activates the fuel injection system. As is, most issues with this system can be attributed to faulty keys or Passlock sensors, so you might want to mention that possibility to your mechanic.I can provide you with technical guidance to diagnose this system should you decide to diagnose and repair this issue yourself; just be aware that the diagnostic procedures included in that guidance will require the use of a Tech-II or equivalent scan tool.Please let me know if you have any toher questions regarding this issue.Best Regards.