Daniel Wilson
Daniel Wilson,
Experience:  Owner at DJ Wilson

Chevy Silverado 2500: i have a 2001 chevy silverado 2500

Customer Question

Hi i have a 2001 chevy silverado 2500 with a 6.0 and automatic trans also manual shift transfer case . my question is my speedometer doesnt work also the abs light is on . already changed the speedometer sensor but didnt correct the problem . any ideas ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Daniel Wilson replied 5 months ago.
Hi Daniel, My name is Dan. If the sensor is new the problem can be in the wiring harness or inside the instrument cluster itself. There is a company that repairs thees clusters if the sensor and wiring test good and there is power and ground to the cluster but the speedo will not work. Click the link below.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a parts truck that i know the instrument cluster was good i drove the truck and saw it work so i put it in the 2500 with the problem and it doesnt work in there . so another question would be is there a transmission module that the speedometer goes thru or does it go thru the ecm. The truck in question someone changed the cab before i got it and on the dash it has the push button for the 4wd and the truck has a manual shift 4wd. I dont know the affects it would have on the funtions of the speedometer but like i said it has no speedometer the abs light is on and also the service 4wd comes on the info screen . any ideas what would need to be changed to make the 3 items listed repaired. ecm, trans module etc ? The cab they put on was from a diesel with an allison trans .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also i want to add that all the gauges work like they should except the speedometer
Click on this link.Wiring and electrical
Click this link. Bare with me while I pull up some more info. Most common is poor soilder joints and connections in the harness.cluster troubleshooting
Hi Daniel, Just following up to see if you got this resolved or still needed more help with this? Please remember to rate my service as that is how the experts get credit for their time helping on the site.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi dan .
I was wondering if you have a wiring diagram for the transmission and the transfer case and also if you know what the voltage is suppose to be at the speedometer sensor . I think my problem is somewhere between there and the fuse box under the hood . the instrument cluster plug looks ok and like i stated the cluster worked fine in my parts truck
Schematic pg 1
Schematic pg2