Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician

2016 Chevy Cruze will not go into park. Won't roll over and

Customer Question

2016 Chevy Cruze will not go into park. Won't roll over and can't remove keys
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Car will not shift into park, will not roll over and keys cannot n
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. Hoping it's an easy fix
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing really. Just trying to restart, shift and remove keys.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: It was recently serviced. Oil change ect
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,How long ago was the car normal?Did you leave the keys in the ignition or not put the car in park?If you have, the vehicle doesn't go to sleep properly, then you get a flat battery.Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I drove the car home, pulled into the driveway. It would not go into park and the keys would not come out of the ignition. The car also would not restart. We did eventually get it into park and remove the key but my son said he pretty much forced it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is a 2016
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Ok, sounds like something wrong in the gearshift.The car is under warranty, so you need to get it to the dealer for repair.The key won't come out unless the shifter is in park first.Off course, you must have your foot on the brake.Do you have a towbar (dealer fitted)?Gary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We will get it to our local dealer in the am. Thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Can you check your brake lights are working before you head off the dealer?I have seen this in a few of our cars, same as yours.Cruze and Captiva.Wishing you all the best.Gary
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.
Hi again,How did you go with your problem?Has the dealer sorted it for you?I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.Please rate my service at your nearest convenience.Kind regardsGary