Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Check engine light JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine

Customer Question

check engine light
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: code saids gas cap and other censors
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new gas cap and the same think
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: i do not know
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
May I have the actual p-codes you retrieved?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do not have with me one is gas cap another map censor but where is the map censor.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
Ok. May I have the year, model and engine size of this vehicle?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
chevy cobalt 2.2
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
And the year please?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2005 year
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
Great, thanks!Ok. Let me start with the "gas cap" code- if you used a generic "code reader" (like at AutoZone) every single EVAP-related code will have "gas cap" as the first possible cause. And on GM vehicles, the P0455, which is commonly a fuel cap code can also be a Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor problem. So for this, we'll need the actual p-code, because if it's anything besides P0455, it's not a fuel cap problem.As for the MAP Sensor- it's mounted just behind the Throttle Body. To gain access, remove the air cleaner resonator and the throttle body. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires before replacement. For an image location view, click here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kekd5jbof39uudn/cob-map.jpg?dl=0If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate or accept my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!