mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

Good morning I cannot put my 2000 4x4 Tahoe in park JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

Good morning I cannot put my 2000 4x4 Tahoe in park
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: All the gears works fine on my 2000 4x4 Tahoe but I cannot put it in park
JA: Fortunately, the mechanics here speak car like it's their native tongue. They're great at getting to the bottom of issues -- including gear-related ones -- and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best mechanic for this. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am park on a incline so I chuck the wheel so I can go under it to see if any thing is disconnect
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: While driving last night I felt it jerk
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 months ago.
if you can safely get under the vehicle the shift cable just pops off the lever on the transmission. once popped off see if you can shift it into park directly at the transmission. it is rare for the manual valve to go bad but it is possible. generally it is in the shifter cable itself.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
U were right Mike. But it will not stay in. I notice where the u clip goes on part of it is broken,Do I have to buy a new shiftier cable? Thanks for your help
yeah you need to replace the shifter cable as an assembly. if you have no further questions i would appreciate if you took a moment to leave me a rating