mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

I keep having the EGR light come check engine light come on

Customer Question

I keep having the EGR light come check engine light come on on my 94 GMC Sierra 1988 motor in it is it different for the vacuum setup than on a 94
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The check engine light comes on after I drive it and it says it's only pulling an EGR code I put a brand new EGR valve on the truck is a 1994 but the motor that is in it is came out of a 1988 and I looked at everything all the vacuum looks to be fine I was just wondering if the intake itself is different on a 94 motor that on an 88 motor
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: it's got the 5.7 liter V8 throttle body
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Yes
JA: What else should I tell the Chevy Mechanic?
Customer: that it does not have an air pump on it and the vacuum line from the canister to the purge valve is missing but people have also told me that it doesn't need the canister because with the 94 motor in it I didn't have no issues with it at all about that hooked up and I was wondering if it has to do with the intake that's on it the intake manifold
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 months ago.
all my system is showing me an electronic egr on a 94 and vacuum operated in 88. do you have the 94 egr on the engine?