Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

Chevrolet Malibu LTZ: I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu ltz and when

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu ltz and when I accelerate I also have a noise that get louder the faster I go. I changed the brake pads. Think there could be a bad set?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** ask you a few questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
How would you describe the noise. Is it a squealing, scraping or grinding? would you describe it like a helicopter? Also, Did the noise start when you put on the brakes or was it already doing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. After I changed the brake pads and changed spark plugs it does it when I accelerate. Faster I go the louder it gets.
Does the engine run ok (is there any shaking or misfiring)? Does the noise go away when you stop accelerating and just coast?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds kinda like a helicopter and gets louder
This sounds like a wheel bearing. There is a simple test that can be done to determine which one or if it is both, but it requires the front end to be picked up and both wheels to be off of the ground at the same time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine runs fine. When I coast it still does it
Ok, that still sounds like a wheel bearing. It is also a pretty common problem on these vehicles. Are you able to lift the vehicle like I mentioned before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it not slowing go out. Had no problems until I changed brake pad
usually it does happen progressively, but could still happen suddenly. Does the noise change when you apply the brakes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise gets less louder the slower I get
Would you be willing to initiate a phone call so we can go over it that way? I think it would be much faster/easier.
If you are not comfortable with that, please check the following:*That all bolts for the brake caliper and bracket are tight*That the brake pads were not installed backwards (you would be surprised how often I see mechanics do this!)*That the lug nuts are tightLet me know if you have any questions regarding any of this
Hi, just checking in to see if you have made any progress on the car
Hi, it's Josh. I'm just checking in to see if you still need me. Please do not hesitate to ask if you do, and if you do not, I would love a positive rating! Thanks, ***** ***** great day.
Hi, it's Josh checking in with a reminder to please leave a positive rating for my service. The ratings system is the only way we are graded (or paid!) so please take a quick moment to do this. Thank You!