GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Just had the accumulator / drier replaced (has low pressure

Customer Question

Just had the accumulator / drier replaced (has low pressure switch attached), 134a evacuated and recharged, (down only one once). Today AC worked fine while vehicle was cold, latter, stop and go driving, A/C was really not working very well. This afternoon I removed the front grill and applied about half a can of engine degreaser to the condenser, waited 15 minutes, then rinsed. So far A/C is fine, even with vehicle at operating temperature. 2003 Trailblazer with about 267,000 miles. Does this sound like a fix for this type of problem? My next thought is to replace the high pressure switch. Fan clutch appears to be fine and irrelevant as this problem would develop at 65 - 70 MPH highway speeds. Your thoughts?
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If it isn't already fixed yes.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: All AC parts, except for the accumulator with low pressure switch are original, with 267.000 miles and 13 years in salt region of USA.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 5 months ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, It does sound like you were able to increase the heat transfer of the condenser. Do you know where the contamination on the condenser came from? Normally it is negligable unless you are in farm country.