GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I recently replaced the complete ignition assembly on a 97

Customer Question

I recently replaced the complete ignition assembly on a 97 cavalier. The car starts but does not stay running. Service dealer says it is the immobility switch thing needs to be programmed? I have tried googling it. But noe results
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. The part is from a 2002 sunfire. But is exactly the same.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked the airbag fuse. Disconnected battery. nothing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question,The problem you are having is likely due to you needing to do the Pass lock relearn procedure. I have enclosed the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it. this a try, providing there are no other issues this should resolve the problem.