Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

Chevrolet Cavalier: , I have a 1998 Cavalier 2.2 4 speed

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Cavalier 2.2 4 speed auto.
From a start if you hold it to the floor it won't upshift until you let off the gas, it will go straight to the limiter and sputter. If I'm going up the mountain it will drop in 2nd gear at 45mph and it will rev hard but won't speed up. If I'm cruising down the highway and need to speed up it will downshift(maybe to a too low gear) but it will be max out on revs and will sputter out.
Sometimes the abs light and ets off light are on.
Sometimes(rarely) the oil light comes on at idle.
Any Ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is*****'m going to try to help you out
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Alright if you need anymore info just ask
Thanks! So, do you have a check engine light at all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No Check engine light ever
Have you been able to check the transmission fluid?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes it is full and still looks good.
This will be a stupid question but have you also checked the oil pressure?
I'm sorry, I mean the oil level
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes I have replaced the valve cover gasket and did an oil change right after. Changed plugs and wires.
Did a compression test dry numbers were 190,195,195,195 Wet numbers were 200,198,200,200
I believe the oil pressure light is possibly just an old motor sort of thing it has 233k. I am just totally stumped with this shifting thing.
I took off the entire exhaust and no difference. Just can drive it fine and if you put your foot down a tiny bit itll downshift and speed up but if you hammer it it'll downshift and sputter like its at the rev limiter
I am going to look into a detent cable adjustment, give me a few...
Ok so I can't find a lot of info on this...are you near the car now?
I want you to check and see if there are two cables on the throttle
Hi just checking in to see if you had a chance to look at the car
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is only one
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yea there is only one cable
Ok that means that detent is regulated electronically by the tcm and the tps sensor. The next area to look is the air flow meter (mass air flow sensor). Normally, a problem with this will set a check engine light but I have seen it cause a problem by inaccurately reading air volume and not set a code...do you know where this part is? I want you to take a test drive with it unplugged and monitor shift quality. This will eliminate that input and help determine if it is faulty by forcing the Tcm to rely on other inputs for shift points. This will cause the engine light to come on but it can be easily cleared
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So I unplugged it and drove it. It stayed the same for 10 miles(approx) and then the CEL came on. When it came on it changed. When I shift from park into drive or reverse it goes in hard. While driving if i drive normal it seems to shift a little bit sooner and firmer. However, if I hammer it, it'll do the same thing by going to the top and sputtering.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do you think of that?
I apologize for my delayed response... based on what you are saying, it sounds to me like the mass air flow sensor is faulty. Before you install one, it would be worth it to remove it from the car and attempt to clean it. Sometimes the sensor itself can be ok but have dirt covering the heating element, thereby causing a lower-than-accurate air mass reading.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If it just needs to be cleaned of I do install a new one, How fast would I see it fixed?
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 6 months ago.
If you just need to clean it, you should see immediate results; provided that you disconnect the battery for at least one minute to clear the adaptives.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try that tomorrow and let you know
Great! I look forward to hearing the results.