GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Silverado: , I have a 2009 silverado 1500.

Customer Question

I have a 2009 silverado 1500. The last few days i have noticed that when i try to accelerate in reverse i have a loud bang coming from the what i believe is the differential or transmission. I don't seem to have the problem if i don't push the gas pedal. Everything seems fine in drive. Tranny fluid looks good and is right where it should be. Any idea what's going on?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Driveline u-joint on either the front or rear driveshaft? Could be broken or seized. Broken is much easier to identify. Might be worth a look under there to see if any of the driveshaft u-joints have play, look damaged or look rusty (rusty might be more along the lines of a seized joint).I will keep thinking about it, let me know what you see.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I took a look and they look a little rusty as per age, not terrible. Didn't feel any play in them. I'm familiar with the clunk feel as i had to change my joints in my old Silverado, but this bang made me get out to see if i hit something in my driveway lol. Unfortunately i also know what it sounds like when i back into something
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Hmmm, okay. The only other thought I had was if the parking brake or regular brake is sticking in a way that it releases okay when moving forward but releases with a bang when backing up.I did some digging to see if this was a common problem that anyone else has seen but so far no luck. Will keep thinking and digging.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's a possibility! I'm going to have to tear it apart this weekend. I was wondering about the possibility of a worn slip yoke but i feel like that would happen in all gears and i didn't have much play
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Yeah, I agree with that. One thing to look for is leaky wheel cylinders (if you have rear drum brakes). I have seen them caust the shoes to stick when they get we with brake fluid. Also, I had a similar problem once with a Ford Ranger that had the brake shoes installed incorrectly (front shoe on the back & vise versa). But if you have disc brakes then I am still scratching my head...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok so i had someone put the truck in reverse while i was outside and when it locked up it sounded like something was still spinning on worn gears. the drive shaft was not moving. I had her go in reverse a few times but it only happened once. Frustrating. Have to get my jack and stands this weekend.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.
Is this a 4WD? Maybe something in the transfercase. Let me know what you see this weekend.