John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

This is actually a jeep with a howell injection unit on it.

Customer Question

this is actually a jeep with a howell injection unit on it. can you help?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: engine backfires both ends, does not start, unit shows code 33
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: fresh plugs, cap and rotor did not help. car was towed in dead from highway.
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** installed a few of those injection units, pretty cool setup. GM code 33 is a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor code. Probably set due to low engine vacuum. And probably not the cause of the stalling and backfiring. If the Jeep was running fine on the highway before this happened then I would suspect one of two things. Either a jumped timing chain or a dropped valve (or related valetrain component failure). Probably a compression test is the first step to identify which cylinder(s) have the prioblem.
Expert:  John replied 9 months ago.
Just following up to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance. If you have found my information helpful then please rate me with a positive rating so I get credit for my time. Thank you.