Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott,
Experience:  technician at Demarois Buick Gmc

I have a 1999 K1500 and It is stuck in park. I've tried to

Customer Question

I have a 1999 K1500 and It is stuck in park. I've tried to just turn on ignition and start it in nuetral. It works sometimes, but the problem is getting worse.
JA: The mechanics can certainly get you off to the right "start" -- sorry! Sometimes I can't help myself;-) Seriously, though, the mechanics are real masters when it comes to fixing things, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for this. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The truck will not come out of park. I have my foot on the brake + it still won't budge. the brake switch was replaced 1yr. ago. If I turn the ignition off and on a couple of times, it works sometimes. The problem is getting worse and I'm not sure what to look at.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know what to look at first. Steering column seems to be O.K. Not sure what can all cause this.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: The brake switch was replaced about a year ago. Also, if I just turn on the ignition, it will sometimes shift out of park without my foot on the brake. Truck is not running then.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 5 months ago.
Hate to say it but it sounds like the stoplamp switch failed again, if you disconnect it jump the light green wire to the dark green and white wire next to it and see if you can shift out of park. If you can its the switch, if not let me know and i can show you what to check from there.