Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

Chevrolet Express 1500: I have a chevy express van with

Customer Question

hello I have a chevy express van with the air bag light on and the code is b0081 passenger presence system 1 erratic (symptom 0F) current dtc, history dtc, warning indicator requested.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Did you re zero the PPS system after this was replaced? Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

no how do you zero the pps? my scan tool is a snap on solus

Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Below is the re zero procedure.Passenger Presence System (PPS) Rezeroing Procedure Important: Before rezeroing the PPS, the front passenger seat must be completely empty of all items. The presence of any items on the front passenger seat will affect the calibration and operation of the PPS. Important: When rezeroing the PPS, the instrument panel cluster (IPC), and Passenger Air Bag ON/OFF indicator will begin dimming ON and OFF. This is normal operation during the rezeroing procedure and does not indicate additional system faults. 1. Empty the front outboard passenger seat. 2. Verify that all SIR and PPS components, connectors, and connector position assurances (CPAs) are properly connected and mounted. 3. Install a scan tool. 4. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. Important: All SIR and PPS DTCs must be cleared before rezeroing the PPS. The presence of current or history DTCs will prevent the PPS from rezeroing and may set additional DTCs. 5. Use the scan tool in order to clear the SIR and PPS DTCs. 6. With a scan tool, request the PPS rezeroing procedure. 7. Initiate the PPS rezeroing procedure. The PPS will illuminate both PASSENGER AIR BAG ON and OFF indicators until the rezeroing procedure has been completed. * When the rezeroing procedure has been successfully completed, the PPS will display the current system status. * If the rezeroing procedure was unsuccessful, both PASSENGER AIR BAG ON and OFF indicators will alternate from no illumination to full illumination in 1 second intervals for 5 seconds. The PPS will treat an unsuccessful rezero attempt as a system fault. 8. If the rezeroing procedure was unsuccessful, repeat this procedure. Due to the communication status between the SDM and the PPS module, this procedure may have to be repeated until a successful rezero attempt has been achieved. This procedure needs done here to correct this fault after you replaced the component that was replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete