mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

My 2008 silverado truck cuts out on acceleration and back

Customer Question

my 2008 silverado truck cuts out on acceleration and back on. if i let off the gas it is fine but will shut off after about 5 minutes and then start back up 2 minutes latter only to repeat the same process over. this just started near the end of an 8 hour trip
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: well i am 8 hours from home, i do always carry tools for some reason but i would rather not fix it myself. i can more than likely but i am traveling. and ave to get it fixed quick so i might have to do it myself.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: no, it has always been very dependable. first problem i have had.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  mike switzer replied 7 months ago.
do you know if the spark plugs have ever been changed this sounds like when plugs get too old and too hot. they will start to cut out. are you able to pull a plug?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Plugs are new. I can't imagine 8 plugs going bad at one time.the truck shuts off. Like turning the key off. Then will start back up in a minute or so. Then dies again after a few minutes. It's like it runs out of gas completely.
plugs can do that when they get too old. but since you said they are new i doubt it. what engine do you have in your truck?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
4.8 v8
another thing that i know these engines have a problem with is the coolant temp sensor can cause this issue. if it goes bad but that really is just about the only other thing.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hmmm, sounds like fuel pump control module to me. They are notorious for this. Are you a gm certified mechanic?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's not overheating all Temps are good. Like I said it shuts off. Like out of gas.
fuel pumps are common yes but usually its the work or they dont. when the coolant temp sensor acts up it will eith flood out the engine or lean it out. that is why i lean more towards that. but fpcm do go bad on these just generally the engine doesnt start at all without bumping the fuel tank a few times to get it started.