John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience

I have a 2001 chevy suburban with computer controlled a/c.

Customer Question

I have a 2001 chevy suburban with computer controlled a/c. It blows warm when at idle and cold while driving. I checked the compressor, its running, I checked the Freon, it has. I changed the fan clutch too.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: put a new fan clutch in
JA: Is there anything else the Chevy Mechanic should be aware of about your Chevy?
Customer: theres a little fan noise above the drivers side overhead that makes noise
JA: I have yet to hear of a noise the mechanics can't identify. They're real masters, and it would be my pleasure to connect you with the best one for the job. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** you said there is freon in the system but I want to ask about this first to not overtlook anything. It is possible that there is freon in there but the charge is low. This could explain why you get cold air while driving down the road and not at stops. I know there are recharge kits at the auto parts stores that approximate a full charge. This may be something to look into.Also, if the prioblem is airflow throught the condenser as, you alrerady thought of with the fan clutch, the problem may be dirt or dust in the AC condenser. The condenser sits just in front of the radiator so it is difficult to get behind it to blow out whatever dust may be in there but that is the best way to clean it. If you can get between it and the radiator then blow it out with copressed air or even a garden hose. You can try cleaning it from the front but I have found I don't get as much out this way.There are some other possibilities but they will require taking pressure readings from the AC system to figure out. Lets start with these two things and let me know what you find.John
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Just following up to see what you have found. Please let me know if you have any further questions,or, if you found my information helpful please rate my information positive.Thank you.