John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience

Chevrolet Express 2500: I have a 2009 express van 5.3

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2009 express van 5.3 v8 2009 with the check engine light on, the code is p1153 H02S insufficient switching bank2 sensor 1 (symptom00) test failed since dtc clear test no passed since power up, I replace the h02s already and the code come back up what can I check or can checked if the cat is no good how can I do that
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** 2 sensor 1 oxygen sensor is ahead of the catalytic converter so I don't think the converter is the problem here. That sensor would be on the passenger side of the engine and the one closer to the engine (just to confirm the correct sensor was replaced, there are 4 in the system.) Did the same code number come back? The computer looks at both sensors before the catalytic converters and compares them. Sometimes if you replace just one the computer will throw a code for the other one. If you replaced the correct one and the same code came back then we need to look at wiring and do some tresting at the engine computer harness plug. Do you have any kind od scope or meter to take readdings with?Let me know and I will be here to help.John
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

yes I have a volt meter to check voltage

Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Okay, might be difficult with just a volt meter since we are getting a signal (otherwise we would have a no activity code). Are you sure you replaced the correct sensor location as I described in the last post?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Let me take out the dog house out and put my hand on the sensor that was replace

Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Okay. Let me know. While you are in there, check the connections on both sides of the plug to make sure everything looks healthy. There is a service bulletin about poor terminal contact for these.
Expert:  John replied 5 months ago.
Just following up to see what you have found. Please let me know if you have any further questions,or, if you found my information helpful please rate my information positive.Thank you.