Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering

Chevrolet Lumina Euro: , i have a 1991 chevy lumina euro

Customer Question

hello, i have a 1991 chevy lumina euro 3.1 mpfi , i put top n buttum hoses , water pump , cap , termistat , hose from top of water pump to heater core , started car ran 4 5min went 4 a ride about a half mile down road gage was n the red , pulled over opened hood everything was fine , started car still was n red , turn 2 vent on high ,let car run 4 15min , never got hot felt hoses fine took cap off fine , 1 of the fans came on added half gallon of 50,50 , got back n car still n red heat was cold , called auto store they tolded me 2 bleed the bleeders did that 4 15-25 min still run halfway - red , but still could take off cap no promblems with being hot ,but had to add other gallon of water , looked over everything couldnt fine anything leakin , looked n front floor no wetness from core , looked n oil no gray from water , went*****ran car little hard , runs great but still running over half way , turn on vent goes 2 just under half ,got home open cap put about 1/3 gallon water , car did not do this intill but on all new parts , can u tell me what im miissing or doing wroung thank u
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. *** A BAD RATING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY DEPOSIT YOU MADE ***** .Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating..They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog..However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.). The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases. . Block tester available is: Napa BK.(###) ###-#### ***** Tester AUTOZONE Part Number:27145 .*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures*** ... If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust. If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head. .Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here..
If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large. You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. I do not have access to your email address,