camerontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech

Chevrolet Equinox LT: My rooftop antenna broke off in base

Customer Question

My rooftop antenna broke off in base on my 2007 Chevrolet equinox . How can I get the broken piece of the bolt out of the base so I can replace the antenna only?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  camerontech replied 6 months ago.
hi there,im cam, a licenced diagnostic techif the bolt has a bit of the thread sticking out , vise grips an be the lucky choice.If it is a flush break or siezed in the thread, it will need to be drilled and extracted with a proper bolt extractor kit.this does take a bit of time and patience to do it properly, because if you are off center when drilling, you will ruin the thread of the whole.If it is a flush break and you do not have a kit, i would recommend having a shop drill and extract it, as this can be a 1/2 hour to hour charge compared to a couple of hours and more parts to replace the base and costing you more
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is an extractor kit and how much do they usually cost?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Another question in reply to your far do I need to drill?
hi there,im sorry for the late reply, i had a power failure for the rest of the night.the kits i purchase are from snapon tools, as we are professional techs, and the are a little pricey.i have included a link on ebay on one of the kits I use. I have a larger set so i can do the smaller threads is a general size set. I dont know what size bolt you have to drill so it might not have a small enough bit and for how far you will drill far enough for the extractor to be inerted far enough to grip
Expert:  camerontech replied 5 months ago.
hi there,please take a moment to rate me as it is important for my pagethanks and i appreciate positive ratingscam