Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist
61695331

I'm getting a range shit inhibited message, I just changed

Customer Question

I'm getting a range shit inhibited message, I just changed the nsbu thinking that was the issue but it seemed to do nothing
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I keep getting range shift inhibited message when trying to go into reverse, I just changed the nsbu switch thinking that was the problem but it didn't work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I changed the nsbu switch
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: It's an 05 Silverado 2500 hd
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 7 months ago.
Hello thanks for using JustAnswer!I am sorry to hear about your concern, electrical problems can be difficult to diagnose. I specialize in diagnostics, i will be asking you a series of questions to give you the best possible help that i can. Does your Chevy have the 6.6l Duramax engine?This problem could be caused by a veriaty of problems.This could include a internal failing component in the transmission, or a faulty wiring harness.Transmission linkage could be out of proper alignment.The most common problem is a faulty ignition switch. If the transmission does not have the correct voltages then this message can appear. The electrical portion of the switch could be at fault.Try disconnecting the battery's or battery for 30 minutes to clear out the fault codes. Having the vehicle scanned for fault codes is the best option to aid in diagnostics. This can be done at most auto parts stores for free.If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated, i will continue to work with you even after rated. I will get emails about any other questions you may have. I only strive for excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer. William
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It is a 6.6 duramax
Ok no problem, the best option is to get the vehicle scanned for fault codes that way you are just not replacing parts that are not needed. Unless you want to try replace the ignition switch, a common part that fails.
Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so please let me know if there is anything more I can do.Thank you for using our site.Derek W