Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: my ac/heater blower stopped working

Customer Question

my ac/heater blower stopped working on my 2012 silverado. all of the fuses look ok. what else could be the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.
The next thing to check is the Blower Motor itself. Remove the passenger's side lower insulator panel to gain access to the blower motor. Unplug the electrical connector. Apply 12v to the blower motor- Purple = ( + ), Black = ( - ). If the blower motor does not respond, the blower motor itself will need to be replaced. If the blower motor does respond, then the problem will lie in the blower motor resistor (for manual systems) or the blower motor control module (for auto-temp systems). If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if it means anything, i remote started my truck and was sitting in it messing around on my phone and the blower/ac was working fine. as soon as i put my key in to leave the ac stopped blowing and never came back on.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.
Ok. This could mean an electrical problem. The first thing I would recommend is testing the blower motor itself as described above. If it works by itself, we know the problem is before the blower motor and can work backwards from there. If you have access to testing equipment, like a test lamp and multi-meter, I can provide a test procedure to eliminate the blower control module as the problem as well. If we eliminate blower motor and control module, the problem is electrical between the blower/control module and the ignition switch. Make sure to double check the fuses- under-hood box fuse labeled "HVAC BLWR".
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.