Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

I have 2003 Silverado with a 4l60e tranny, I was driving

Customer Question

Hello, I have 2003 Silverado with a 4l60e tranny, I was driving on highway and all of a sudden it won't accelerate , just like it was in neutral, but it was in drive, no gears lock in , just revs up
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.
good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist possible causes are 1. low fluid level2. clogged filter in the pan3. front pump failure. 4. torque converter failure. the most likely cause for this is the torque converter. what have you tried so far?? Roy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I forgot to mention there is a whining noise
Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.
ok, thanks. it could be a clogged filter. otherwise the front pump has failed.try dropping the pan and changing the filter and fluid and see if it starts working Roy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Alright I will , I'll let you know soon
Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.
please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I opened Pan, filter seems to be clogged I think, is it normal to see little metal shavings
Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.
a small amount, yes. the filter will seem heavy if it is clogged compared to the new one Roy please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Changed filter and nothing changed, I was driving on highway, running smooth and didn't hear any loud noises and it all just stopped working
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Don't get how it all went out with no slipping or anything
Expert:  Roy replied 9 months ago.
ok, the noise is gone now which tells me you have a front pump failure in the trans. it is not producing any pressure to engage the clutches and let the truck move. the trans will have to come out and be inspected for the failure. Roy