mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

I have a pretty severe misfire on cold. Running good at warmer

Customer Question

I have a pretty severe misfire on cold. Running good at warmer temps. I have P0171 & P0174 codes coming up. I had similar problem with a coil pack on an older lumina.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It starts up fine but it wants to sputter and almost die when I press the throttle. I smooths out when I let off until it is warmed up. Seems a little sluggish at normal temp but not sure. This is a 2000 Silversmith with 4.8L engine.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the MAF and this helped for a week or so but now I am have same problem again.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 months ago.
these engine are common for the intake manifold gaskets to go bad and as the engine warms up it seals up to stop the stumbling. you will need to replace the intake manifold gaskets which are rubber o-ring style and they get hard and shrink which allows them to misfire when the engine is cold. if you have no further questions i would appreciate if you took a moment ot leave me a rating.
just a friendly reminder to leave me a rating when you get a chance. we are paid from your deposit once you leave us a rating.