Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

Can I repleace the single speed transfer case in my 97 astro

Customer Question

can I repleace the single speed transfer case in my 97 astro with this 2 speed unit; is it a direct bolt in??
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Chevy. The Chevy Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Stock unit is ok; It would be nice to have a low range for difficult off road conditions.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No... Ashland Oregon , A drive line shop?? Dealershitp???
JA: Huh?
Customer: Where would you go for this?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Chevy Mechanic should know about your Chevy?
Customer: Absolusatel;y stock otherwise
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I dont see this as a possibility myself here.It should bolt up but the controls and computer feed signals will most likely not work and can cause transmission shifting issues and in some cases can burn out the transmission itself as I have seen before.I dont recommend doing this here myself. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete